Monday, October 20, 2014

10 Trends for Autumn/Winter 2014

Hello! Sorry for the lack of posting these past few weeks...I was in Calgary for my friend's wedding at the beginning of the month (more on that later!) and things got a little sidetracked since then. Anyway, I'm back now with a post I've been looking forward to writing for quite some time...my personal take on this season's trends! Back in June, I did a similar post for Spring/Summer's trends, and now here are the looks I'm excited to try this fall (as well as the ones that I don't quite think I can pull off). 

What are your favourite trends of the season? And which do you think you'll pass on?!

A/W 14


1. Moody Florals
While I love big, bright, splashy prints for spring/summer, this time of year calls for something a bit darker and moodier. Whether it's in the form of a dress, skirt, top, or trousers, I'm glad that the dark floral trend is sticking around for another season. 
Topshop midi dress - nordstrom.com

2. Chelsea Boots
Chelsea boots have been kicking around for quite some time now, but are enjoying a resurgence in popularity thanks to the '60s trend that's been permeating the fashion scene this season. I love the sleek look of a classic black pair, but red would be fun, too.
Church's leather booties barneys.com

3. Winter Pastels
I love pastels year-round -- I love how they can look so crisp and refreshing in springtime, yet so cosy and marshmallowy in the colder months. While I love the rich hues traditionally associated with this time of year, I'm also a fan of these more unexpected sugary shades.
Ted Baker pink coat - harrods.com

4. A-Line Minis
Funnily enough, I prefer shorter skirts in the winter and longer, midi lengths when the weather's warmer (probably because I prefer minis with tights and midis with bare legs). The '60s-inspired A-line skirt is flattering on all shapes, and looks great paired with a chunky sweater or turtleneck. 
Carven short a line skirt - flannels.com

5. Over-the-Knee Boots
Despite my love for this look, I've always found it hard to find boots that actually go over my knee (and not awkwardly hit right at it). Last year, however, I was lucky enough to score the perfect black suede pair at Aldo...and I have a feeling I'll be getting just as much wear out of them this winter as I did the last.
Tory Burch distressed leather riding boots - toryburch.com

6. Fast Food Fashion
For someone who loves McDonald's (and junk food in general) as much as I do, you'd think I'd be more enthusiastic about a Golden Arches-embossed handbag. But nope, this trend doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. What can I say? I guess I'm just not playful or rich enough for fast food fashion.
Moschino quilted chain handbag - monnierfreres.co.uk

7. Colourful Fur
Back in the early '00s, I sported a subtle take on this trend (a denim jacket trimmed with a lurid red fur collar), but these days I'm way too sensible and boring to give it another shot. Another trend best left to the Cara Delevingnes of this world, I think. 
Oui Odile blue faux fur jacket - farfetch.com

8. Cocoon Coats
I think this mannish look is definitely cool, but really not the most flattering for my type of figure (I generally prefer a more feminine style with a defined waist). And in my books, flattering trumps cool every time.
Violeta by Mango wrap coat - johnlewis.com

9. Monk Strap Shoes
What the ugly sandal was to Spring/Summer, the monk strap shoe is to Autumn/Winter...and again, I'm just not attracted to the ugly footwear staple of the season. Yes, it's cool, but as far as I'm concerned, this is one style that can stay in the monastery.
The Office Of Angela Scott low heel shoes neimanmarcus.com

10. Turtlenecks
Turtlenecks, roll necks, polo necks...whatever you call them, they're back with a vengeance. While I'm including this look in my "No!" section, I'm actually more on the fence about it... Generally, I think turtlenecks look the most flattering and elegant on those with a flatter chest, but I think I could just about pull one off if I layered it under a jacket. 
Silvian Heach knit sweater - houseoffraser.co.uk

1 comment: